Prof. M.D. PhD Alan Ivkovic
Dr. Ivković graduated from the School of Medicine in Zagreb in 1999. His residency in orthopaedic surgery started in 2002, and he passed specialist exam in 2007. He obtained PhD degree in biomedical sciences in 2009, and the topic of his thesis was application of gene therapy in articular cartilage repair. Currently he is a consultant orthopedic surgeon at the University Hospital Sveti Duh in Zagreb. He is also assistant professor at the Department of Biotechnology University of Rijeka where he teaches regenerative medicine and tissue engineering. He also has academic affiliations with School of Medicine University of Zagreb and with Faculty of Applied Health Sciences in Zagreb. He authored numerous scientific articles published in peer-reviewed journals, as well as numerous chapters in books and encyclopedias. As an International Fulbright Fellow he spent academic year 2007/2008 in the Center for Molecular Orthopaedics at Harvard University in Boston, USA. He is a recipient of numerous domestic and international fellowships and awards. During his career he visited numerous international teaching institutions and participated in various courses, including those in Boston, Chicago, Amsterdam, Freiburg, Munich, Barcelona, Milano and Basel. His professional focus is adult lower extremity reconstructive surgery (including joint replacement and soft tissue surgery), as well as bone and cartilage tissue engineering. He is a team leader of the Croatian partner in the international consortium within EU FP7 project BIO-COMET (Bioreactor-based, clinically oriented engineering of tissues) and HORIZON 2020 project BIO-CHIP (Bioengineered grafts for cartilage healing in patients). He is a board member of the Croatian Orthopaedic Society and the national EBOT (European Board of Orthopaedic Surgery) delegate. As an official physician of the Croatian Water Polo Federation he participated in 2012 London Olympic Games (gold medalist), European Championships in Zagreb 2010 (gold medalist) and World Championships in Melbourne 2007 (gold medalist).
2002-2006 Residency in orthopaedic surgery. Chief resident, conducting clinical rounds for undergraduate medical students
2007-2010 Attending physician at the University Hospital Center Zagreb
2007-2008 Conducting research as an International Fulbright Scholar at the Center for Molecular Orthopaedics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA
2010-2015 Attending physician at the University Hospital Sveti Duh, Zagreb
2011-2015 Head of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St. Catherine’s Hospital, Zabok
2015-present Head of Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University Hospital Sveti Duh, Zagreb
- D. Medical School University of Zagreb, Croatia (1993-1999)
Internship University Hospital Merkur Zagreb, Croatia (2000-2001)
Residency Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Medical School University of Zagreb (2002-2006)
Board of Orthopaedic February 27th 2007 (Zagreb, Croatia, EU)
Ph. D. Medical School University of Zagreb, Croatia. Field: Biomedical Sciences. Title of graduation thesis and date of defense: Articular Cartilage Repair by Genetically Modified Bone Marrow Aspirate (May 7th 2009)
Associate Research Appointed by the University of Zagreb in December 2009
Senior Lecturer Appointed by University of Applied Health Studies in June 2010
Assistant Professor Appointed by Department of Biotechnology in November 2010, University of Rijeka
Senior Research Appointed by the University of Zagreb in May 2015
Associate Professor Appointed by Department of Biotechnology in November 2015, University of Rijeka
USMLE Step 1 (233/93), Step 2 CK (234/97)
- Ivković A, Bojanić I, Ivković M. The female athlete triad. Liječ vjesn 2001; 123: 200-206.
- Bojanic I, Ivkovic A, Dotlic S, Ivkovic M, Manojlovic S. Localized pigmented villonodular synovitis of the knee: diagnostic challenge and arthroscopic treatment: a report of three cases. Knee Surg, Sports Traumatol, Arthrosc 2001; 9: 350-354.
- Bojanić I, Orlić D, Ivković A. Arthroscopic removal of a juxtaarticular osteoid osteoma of the talar neck. J Foot Ankle Surg 2003; 42(6): 359-363.
- Bojanić I, Ivković A, Borić I. Arthroscopy and microfracture technique in the treatment of osteochondritis dissecans of the humeral capitellum: report of 3 adolescent gymnasts. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2005; 14(5): 491-496.
- Bojanić I, Ivković A, Smoljanović T, Pećina M. Stress fractures in professional and recreational athletes. Hrv Šport Vjes 2005; 20(1): 38-49.
- Ivković A, Smoljanović T, Bojanić I, Pećina M. Sindromi prenaprezanja u području kuka. Hrv Šport Vjes 2005; 20(2): 27-35.
- Ivković A, Pascher A, Hudetz D, Jelić M, Hašpl M, Windhager R, Pećina M. Gene therapy of the musculoskeletal system. Acta Ortho Traum Checosl 2006; 73: 115-122.
- Pećina M, Jelić M, Ivković A, Hudetz Gene therapy application in orthopaedics. Int Orthop 2006; 30(3): 215-216.
- Ivkovic A, Bojanic I, Pecina M. Stress fractures of the femoral shaft in athletes: a new treatment algorithm. Br J Sports Med 2006; 40: 518-520.
- Ivkovic A, Boric I, Cicak N. One-stage surgical procedure for locked bilateral shoulder dislocation: case report. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2007, 89(6):825-8.
- Franic M, Ivkovic A, Rudic R. Injuries in water polo. Croat Med J. 2007; 48(3):281-288
- Bojanić I, Franić M, Ivković A. Arthroscopic surgery of the ankle. Liječ vjesn 2007, 129:152-157.
- Bojanić I, Cerovečki T, Smoljanović T, Ivković A, Tršek D, Borić I. Osteohondritis disecans of the ankle. Liječ vjesn 2007, 129:191-199.
- Smoljanović T, Ivković A, Borić I, Seiwerth S, Hašpl M, Pećina M. 20 godina nakon rekontrukcije stražnje ukrižene sveze umjetnim ligamentom Gore-Tex: prikaz slučaja. Hrv Šport Vjes 2007; 22(1): 48-52.
- Ivkovic A, Franic M, Bojanic I, Pecina M. Overuse injuries in female athletes. Croat Med J. 2007; 48: 767-78.
- Ivković A, Pećina M. Sindromi prenaprezanja u djeca sportaša. Pediatr Croat 2009; 53 (Suppl 1): 216-222.
- Pećina M, Ivković A, Hudetz D, Smoljanović T, Janković S. Saggital osteotomy of the patella after Morscher. Int Orthop, 2009; 34:297-303.
- Ivković A, Pascher A, Hudetz D, Jelić M, Dickinson S, Matičić D, Hašpl M, Windhager R, Pećina M. Articular Cartilage Repair by Genetically Modified Bone Marrow Aspirate in Sheep. Gene Therapy, 2010; 17:779–789.
- Pećina M, Bojanić I, Ivković A, Brčić L, Smoljanović T, Seiwerth S. Patellar Tendinopathy: Histopathological Examination and Follow-up of Surgical Treatment. Acta Ortho Traum Checosl 2010; 77: 277-283.
- Granec D, Ivković A, Belina S, Pavlović R. The role of ultrasonography in evaluation of pathomorphological changes in humeroscapular periarthritis. Lijec Vjesn 2010; 132(9-10): 293-297.
- Miller MA, Ivkovic A, Porter R, Harris MB, Estok DM 2nd, Smith RM, Evans CH, Vrahas MS. Autologous bone grafting on steroids: preliminary clinical results. A novel treatment for nonunions and segmental bone defects. Int Orthop 2011; 35(4): 599-605.
- Ivkovic A, Marijanovic I, Hudetz D, Porter RM, Pecina M, Evans CH. Regenerative medicine and tissue engineering in orthopaedic surgery. Front Biosci (Elite Ed) 2011; 3:923-44.
- Pecina M, Bojanic I, Smoljanovic T, Ivkovic A, Mirkovic M, Jelic M. Surgical treatment of diaphyseal stress fractures of the fifth metatarsal in athletes. Long-term follow-up and computerized pedobarographic analysis. J Am Pod Ass 2011; 101:517-522.
- Vukasović A, Ivković A, Ježek D, Cerovečki I, Vnuk D, Kreszinger M, Hudetz D, Pećina M. Histološka procjena cijeljenja zglobne hrskavice upotrebom semikvantitativne ocjenske ljestvice. Acta Med Croatica 2011, 65:227-235.
- Vukic T, Ivkovic A, Jankovic S. Stress fracture of the lateral cuneiform: A case report. J Am Pod Ass 2012; in press.
- Hudetz D, Rod E, Radic A, Ivkovic A. Diagnosis and treatment of peri-prosthetic infections in total hip Med Glas Ljek komore Zenicko-doboj kantona 2012; 9(1):152-159
- Radic A, Rod E, Hudetz D, Ivkovic A. Hip resurfacing arthroplasty, then and now: a review. Minerva Ortop Traumatol 2012;63(3):147-53
- Beyzadeoglu T, Onal A, Ivkovic A. Matrix-induced autologous chondrocyte implantation (MACI) for a large chondral defect in a professional football player: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2012;6(1):173.
- Glatt V, Miller M, Ivkovic A, Liu F, Parry N, Griffin D, Vrahas M, Evans C. Improved Healing of Large Segmental Defects in the Rat Femur by Reverse Dynamization in the Presence of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Nov 21;94(22):2063-2073.
- Ivkovic A, Hudetz D, Pecina M. Articular cartilage repair in athletes. Current concepts and future treatment. Aspetar Sports Medicine Journal 2013, 2: 256-261.
- Rod E, Ivkovic A, Boric I, Jankovic S, Radic A, Hudetz D. Acute hyperextension/valgus trauma to the elbow in top-level adult male water polo goalkeepers: A cause of osteochondritis disecans of the capitellum? Injury, Int J Care Injured 2013; 44 Suppl: S46-8.
- Pecina M, Ivkovic J, Cicvara-Pecina T, Ivkovic A. Orthogeriatrics – considerations in caring for older orthopaedic patient. Period Biolog 2013; 4: 527-533.
- Primorac D, Anticević D, Barisić I, Hudetz D, Ivković A. Osteogenesis imperfecta–multi-systemic and life-long disease that affects whole family. Coll Antropol. 2014 Jun;38(2):767-72.
- Gusic N, Ivkovic A, VaFaye J, Vukasovic A, Ivkovic J, Hudetz D, Jankovic S. Nanobiotechnology and bone regeneration: a mini-review. Int Orthop 2014; 38(9):1877-1884.
- Gusic N, Sabalic S, Pavic A, Ivkovic A, Sotosek-Tokmadzic A, Cicvaric T. Rationale for more consistent choice of surgical approaches for acetabular fractures. Injury 2015; doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2015.10.045.
- Panek M, Marijanovic I, Ivkovic A. Stem cells in bone regeneration. Period Biolog 2015; 1: 177-184.
- Matic I, Antunovic M, Brkic S, Josipovic P, Caput Mihalic K, Karlak I, Ivkovic A, Marijanovic I. Expression of OCT-4 and SOX-2 in Bone Marrow-Derived Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells during Osteogenic Differentiation. OAMJMS 2016; DOI:3889/oamjms.2016.008
- Liu F,Wells JW, Porter RM, Glatt V, Shen Z, Schinhan M, Ivkovic A, Vrahas MS, Evans CH, Ferreira E. Interaction between living bone particles and rhBMP-2 in large segmental defect healing in the rat femur. J Orthop Res. 2016 Dec;34(12):2137-2145. doi: 10.1002/jor.23255.
- Naranda J, Sušec M, Maver U, Gradišnik L, Gorenjak M, Vukasović A, Ivković A, Rupnik MS, Vogrin M, Krajnc P. Polyester type polyHIPE scaffolds with an interconnected porous structure for cartilage regeneration. Sci Rep. 2016 Jun 24;6:28695. doi: 10.1038/srep28695.
- Ćuti T, Antunović M, Marijanović I, Ivković A, Vukasović A, Matić I, Pećina M, Hudetz D. Capacity of muscle derived stem cells and pericytes to promote tendon graft integration and ligamentization following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Int Orthop. 2017 Mar 15. doi: 10.1007/s00264-017-3437-y. (CC)
- Smerdelj M, Ivković A. Masivni koštani presatci (kirurgija tumora). In: Koržinek K, ed., Transplantacija kosti, Zagreb: Medicinska naklada, 2003, str. 41-50.
- Ivković A. Overuse Injuries in Young Athletes. In: Pećina M i Bojanić I, ed. Overuse Injuries of the Musculoskeletal System, 2nd ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2003, 375-393.
- Ivković A. Overuse Injuries in Female Athletes. In: Pećina M i Bojanić I, ed. Overuse Injuries of the Musculoskeletal System, 2nd ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2003, 395-407.
- Bojanić I, Ivković A. Artroskopija gležnja. In: Koržinek K, ed., Artroskopija koljena, ramena i gležnja, Zagreb: Medicinska naklada, 2004, str. 77-97.
- Bojanić I, Ivković A, Pećina M. Stress fractures In: Bowlin GL, Wnek G, ed., Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Enginering, Philadelphia: Taylor and Francis, 2005, DOI:10.1081/E-EBBE-120041726.
- Pećina M, Bojanić I, Ivković A. Knee Joint Overuse Injuries, In: Bowlin GL, Wnek G, ed., Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Enginering, Philadelphia: Taylor and Francis, 2005, DOI:10.1081/E-EBBE-120041725.
- Pećina M, Ivković A, Bojanić I. Hip Joint Overuse Injuries, In: Bowlin GL, Wnek G, ed., Encyclopedia of Biomaterials and Biomedical Enginering, Philadelphia: Taylor and Francis, 2005, DOI:10.1081/E-EBBE-120041724.
- Ivkovic A, Vukasovic A, Porter RM, Hudetz D, Pecina M, Evans CH. Gene Therapy in Articular Cartilage Repair. In: Emans PJ i Petersen L, ed. Developing Insights in Cartlage Repair. London: Springer-Verlag, 2014.
- Ivkovic A, Vukasovic A, Beyzadeoglu T, Kose GT. Clinical relevance of growth factors and gene therapy in sports injuries. U: Doral MN, Karslon J, ur. Sports injuries. Prevention, diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2014.
Editorial Board Member:
Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine
Croatian Sports Medicine Journal
American Journal of Sports Medicine
Arthritis Research & Therapy
Journal of Sports Medicine, Knee Surgery, Arthroscopy
Funded Scientific Projects:
2005- Gene Therapy of Mineralized Tissues (108-0000000-3652, Ministry of Science, Republic of Croatia) / Investigator
2005- Treatment of the Articular Cartilage Defects of the Large Joints (108-1080327-0161, Ministry of Science, Republic of Croatia) / Investigator
2011-2015 Bioreactor-based, Clinically Oriented Manufacturing of Engineered Tissues – BIO-COMET (FP7, HEALTH-F4-2011-278807, European Commission) / Principal Investigator and Team Leader of the Croatian Partner
2014-2015 Business Innovation Croatia (BICRO) Proof-of-Concept (POC): Tissue
engineering of bone transplants by use of stem cells and bioactive scaffold/ Senior Scientific Advisor
2015- Bioengineered Grafts for Cartilage Healing in a Patients – BIO-CHIP
(Horizon 2020, H2020-PHC-2015-single-stage_RTD, European Comission) / Principal Investigator and Team Leader of the Croatian Partner
Other Experience and Professional Memberships:
2001 Croatian Medical Chamber
2003 Croatian Orthopaedic Society (Board Member)
2007 International Cartilage Repair Society
2007 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
2007 Orthopaedic Research Society
2008 AO Alumni Organization, Instructor
2010 Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society
2005 Vice-President of the Health Commission of the Croatian Water Polo Federation, Official Physician of the Croatian National Water Polo Team
Honors and Awards:
2004 EFORT (European Federation of Orthopaedic and Traumatology Associations) Travelling Fellowship in Netherlands
2004 “Zlata Bartl” Award for best PhD students
2007 International Fulbright Fellowship / Center for Molecular Orthopaedics, Harvard Medical School
2009 ICRS Stryker Travelling Fellowship / Harvard and Rush University
2009 Award for best PhD thesis in translational sciences at the Medical School University of Zagreb
2010 European Society for Sports Medicine, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA) National Award Winner
2011 ORS/OREF Award in Orthopaedic Research Translation